Computer Acceptable Use Policy
The Library provides access to the internet. While it offers access to a wealth of materials that is enriching to people of all ages, it also enables access to some materials that may be disturbing, offensive and/or illegal. Internet computers will not be used for illegal activity or to access material which by local community standards would be obscene. Library employees are authorized to take prompt and appropriate action to enforce the rules.
- Computer access is available to any patron over 13 years of age holding a current North Palm Beach Library Card and is in good standing
- For patrons under 13 years of age, a written permission from parent/guardian is required to use the computer
- Unlimited use for visitors
- Users must check in at Circulation Desk to use the internet on the next available terminal basis. Terminals will not be reserved for persons who are not in the immediate vicinity. Telephone reservations will not be taken.
- Each workstation is numbered. Patrons will be assigned a specific computer and a temporary password upon presenting a Library card or other type of photo ID.
- Sessions are limited to 30 minutes. Additional time may be issued by the Librarian in charge, if no one is waiting. The number of access sessions available per day, per user, may be established by Library Director. Limitations will depend on demand in order to provide access for the majority of users.
- All computers not in use will be shut down 15 minutes before the Library closes. Computers in use may continue using until 5 minutes before the close of the Library.
- User must end their session and leave the terminal when asked to do so by authorized Library Staff.
- By mutual agreement, 2 persons may share 1 access session as long as their behavior or conversation does not disturb other users or Library Staff.
- Users must have basic knowledge of computer skills, including the ability to use a mouse. The Library staff does not provide training.
- Printing will not process until payment is made at the printer. If transaction is not completed within 60 minutes, it will be deleted from print station.
- Black and White 15¢ per page
- Colored 50¢ per page
- Installation, downloading, or modification of software is prohibited.
- Patrons are permitted to insert CDs, diskettes, and/or memory sticks into the computer.
- 1st Offense: Patron receives a verbal warning and the offense is noted on Patron’s account.
- 2nd Offense: Patron receives a 2-week suspension of computer privileges and must immediately leave the workstation. The suspension is noted and filed.
- 3rd Offense: Patron loses computer privileges. Privileges may be reinstated only by the Library Director.