Circulation Desk Policy
Library Card Eligibility
Because the Library is a discretionarily funded unit of the Village of North Palm Beach, permanent residents of the Village of North Palm Beach shall be issued a North Palm Beach Public Library card free of charge. A parent/guardian must take financial responsibility for materials borrowed by a minor or dependent and provide photo ID and address verification.
The following categories of non-residents shall be issued an individual North Palm Beach Public Library card free of charge:
- Palm Beach County property owners
- Persons employed in Palm Beach County
- Students enrolled in schools, colleges, and universities in Palm Beach County
- Residents of Palm Beach County
- Family members under age 13 and residing at the same address may be issued their own individual non-resident cards at no cost
- Additional adults residing at the same address who have proof of residence in Palm Beach County
To protect the community’s investment in Library resources and ensure they are available to everyone, verification of identity is necessary at the time of registration:
- Photo ID
- Address verification
- Verification of eligibility to receive a no-cost non-resident Library card, with one of the following:
- Verification of Palm Beach County property ownership
- Verification of attendance at a Palm Beach County school
- Verification of employment within Palm Beach County
- Verification of residency in Palm Beach County
- A parent/guardian must take financial responsibility for materials borrowed by a minor or dependent and provide photo ID and address verification
The North Palm Beach Public Library seeks to provide Library services to all those patrons seeking to register for a Library card.
- Patrons must pay for loss or damage of borrowed materials that result in replacement, repairs, cleaning or reprocessing.
- For a completely damaged item, the cost to the patron will be price listed in the item record.
- The Library charges a processing fee for lost material.
- A damaged item for which the patron has paid the replacement cost may have the material.
- When a patron must pay the whole amount for a damaged item, any overdue fines on the item will not be assessed.
- The Library reserves the right to charge a processing or handling fee for any item returned damaged.
- Fines, fees and other charges are set by the Library Director.
- Fines are payable and due upon return of the overdue material(s).
- In calculating the number of days overdue, only those days that the Library is open will be counted.
Loan Period & Renewals
- Items are normally loaned for 7, 14, and 28 days.
- All materials except those that are in special demand, those that cannot be replaced, including rare and fragile items, or of a special format, will be loaned for home use under Library regulations and procedures. Items that do not circulate include current issues of magazines, newspapers, and reference materials.
- The loan period for Inter-Library Loans varies according to the date the material is due back at the lending Library.