The North Palm Beach Police Department reminds you to protect deliveries at your home from theft by "porch pirates." When deliveries are left in front of your house, they provide an easy opportunity for thieves to grab the package and walk (or run) away. But there are some things you can do to discourage this kind of crime:
- Have packages delivered to a neighbor who will be home and who agrees to accept them.
- Have packages shipped to your occupied workplace instead of your unoccupied home.
- Sign up for delivery and tracking alerts at shippers like UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service, and look into their alternative delivery options.
- Require a signature for delivery.
- Request nondescript packaging, particularly from expensive stores.
- Keep the area around your front porch highly visible to others.
- Install a video doorbell and/or security cameras that ARE VISIBLE to thieves.
- Invest in a package lockbox that is secure on your front porch.
- Encourage neighbors to look out for each other and to call police if there are suspicious activities or people in your neighborhood.
Village police officers say it's ok to call 911, but remember, many porch thefts happen simply because people with an inclination to steal see an easy opportunity while passing by, and they need only seconds to grab your package and move on. So, the best way to prevent thefts is if you never have unsecured packages left outside you home.
For more information, contact:
Village of North Palm Beach